Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Spotlight Feature on Lee Taylor and his novel Bound!!!

Since Bound is one of my fiancé’s new favorite books, we decided to let him take a turn at reviewing!  So please give a warm welcome to Bobby Newman, our guest reviewer for today!!  This is his first time reviewing for ANY blog, so please leave him a message and let him know what you think! J




Blurb for Bound
Ursine Edwards was a normal, well-adjusted teenager prior to Summer vacation. Now he has unintentionally married a demon, fallen into line with a wolf pack, and is being hunted by witches as well as the government, who are all in turn trying to use Ursine for their own devices.

Review
Bound, written by Lee Taylor, is not to be judged by its cover. I almost made the mistake of passing this paranormal adventure up by judging it by its cover. I had a feeling that I should read the blurbs first before making a final judgment.  I was hooked by the line “marries a demon,” and that was it for me.

Bound is about a young man named Ursine and the demonic bear residing within his soul. Through this book the reader follows Ursine as he is mentally overloaded with supernatural happenings. The reader will meet interesting characters along the way that are organic to the flow of the book. Along the way, Ursine must fight to save his life, and the demoness he has fallen in love with after being unknowingly married.

I have not read many paranormal titles, due to the fact that I usually prefer the horror genre.  I am glad that I strayed from my normal reading material. After reading I was immediately searching for the next book in the series, only to find that it will not be released till this fall. Needless to say, I have fallen in love with a book that I would have not normally looked at twice. My advice to anyone who loves action, gore, and magic, is to pick this book up and give it a chance like I did. You will not be sorry.

Author Interview
Can you tell us an interesting fact about you, your writing, or anything at all?  Or, is there anything in particular you want the readers to know about you?

I am half British, and half Canadian, this can apparently greatly affect my writing. As I am either always correct in spellings or wrong, depending on what English speaking nationality is reading my work at the time!

When did you first know that writing was what you wanted to do as a career?

For me what really cemented it was when I had finished writing my first book, I want to keep on chasing this particular dragon.

When you are working on a book, do you plan ahead, or do you let the story flow as you write?

Honestly, I tend to do both. I will plan the outline, but quite often spontaneous thoughts occur to me, mid paragraph, and I begin to change everything.

Is there a special place in your home that you work at?

Usually in the living room. But honestly, any sort of flat surface works for me!

Are any of your characters in your books based on people that you know in real life?

I didn’t intend to base them off any real people in my life, but my wife thinks that my protagonist reminds her of me. Which I am not sure is a good thing…

Do you have an interesting writing quirk? Maybe something that you have to do while writing or something that you have to do before you start writing.

I may listen to a few tracks before writing… other than that, I try not to run laps around my block naked, as it tends to distress the neighbors too much.

What is your opinion on Indie publishing versus mainstream publishing?

I am all for it. For first time authors it is really a must, as a lot of literary agents, as well as publishers, are not looking for anything.. (No unsolicited manuscripts) while Indie publishers are genuinely happy to have you on board, and you never know if it won’t lead to greater things.

Do you hear from your fans a lot? If so, what are some of the best & worst things that you have heard?

I try to speak to my fans as often as they can stand. Sometimes I can feel myself blushing at the kind words, but I tend not to need all that much ego grooming. I prefer to talk about other things. Bound seems to be a 50 50 book. It brings with it a lot of emotion, some people can simply not stand it, others, protest it to be a great start to a series.  I want to continue to grow as a person and as an author, and hopefully do my story proud.

What does your family think of your writing?

They are incredibly supportive, and I think kind of relieved. Not every family knows how to approach a big guy who will sit down scribbling into a leather book, arguing with one’s self after all. So after finding out I was writing, they were all very much happy for me.

How has being published changed your life, if any way?

Getting published has changed my life in one simple, and amazing realization. Anything in this world is achievable if you are willing to work on it.

What are you currently working on?  We would love to know what is coming next from you.

Well, very soon there will be second and third installments of my Unleashed series, where I will really be raking poor Ursine through the coals as it were… I should also be having a short holiday romance book coming out, as part of an anthology, which should be pretty fun. Other than that, I have a few YA series I am trying to pan out, as well as perhaps a children’s book or two. Oh, then of course, there is my crème de la crème. That I have been playing with ( in a non EL James way)  and that is a horror / thriller that I have been digging really deep for. I am hoping to have it ready to submit by spring next year. Providing the worlds continues to spin.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a writer?

Never lose heart. If you want to write, write. No one is going to write for you! xox

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Ending it. I wanted to keep on writing, I wanted to add more and more, and tweak it. But if that would have happened I would have been trying to have a 1500 page monstrosity published, and that simply wouldn’t have happened for a first time author. And so, I decided to end it in a place where some issues were resolved but more were left open.

What hardships have you encountered while writing your books?

Sometimes when writing, you can find yourself reading someone else’s work, and you will be sat there thinking… holy hell… why should I even bother to write? I am not in the same league as this guy…  but the real trick is not to let it bother you. Just keep the faith in what you are writing, and others will too.

What books (or authors) have influenced you the most during your career?

I have really enjoyed reading the Dresden Files, I think the books are fast and fun. Plus I am a total dork for all things supernatural.

Fun Questions:
Favorite flavor of ice cream:   Orange, dark chocolate and whiskey… I only ever had it once. And it was AMAZING.
Favorite color:     At this moment in time purple, but ask me at this point tomorrow and it may be baby blue, or dark brown.
Favorite animal:    I think my favorite animal would be a bear or a wolf, they are incredible to behold.
Favorite season of the year:     Fall. So many brilliant colors.
Favorite Author:    I guess Jim Butcher, I would really love to buy the man a drink.
Favorite drink:       Ha! Jagermeister, definitely.
Favorite food:        Spaghetti Bolognese.
Favorite Halloween Candy:      Cinder toffee apple cakes! Yummy!

Character Interview
Hello Ursine, I am happy that you are here with me today, are you ready for a few quick fire questions?

“What? Wait. Where am I—I was just coming out of class when I got jumped, gagged and bagged, and before I knew it, I was here! What the hell do you want? Who are you?”

Sorry about that, I have been asked to ask you some questions. I trust you don’t mind?

“Well, yeah I kind of do! Most people that ask me questions are walking up and down a sidewalk, clutching a clipboard…you kidnapped me.”

Are you always so dramatic?

“That depends on what you are planning to do to me afterwards.”

Return you. 

“And I am just supposed to take your word?”

Would it help if I told you who I am?

Probably not, no.”

Well, my name is Lee; I am a writer. You can think of me as your biographer.

“So, you are going to kill me—”

What? No, I told you that I was going to return you as soon as you answer a few questions.

“Then why say that, you’re my biographer, that makes you sound like a psycho.”

Better than sounding like I want to make a suit out of your skin.

“Whoa, you just came right out the gate with that… What sort of writer are you?”

I think we’re getting a bit off topic… people want to hear about you.

“Oh? What sort of people? Do they work for the Helsing organization as well?”

No… oh for crying out loud… You really are annoying.

“Says the psycho.”


Si, I hope you don’t mind if I call you Si? Have you ever watched the movie Inkheart?

“I might have, but I don’t really remember what happened…why?”

But you remember the bad guy in it—Andy Serkis?

“Sure… I guess.”

Okay, hang on a second… Would you mind reading this for me?

“What is this? A spelling and reading test?—Ursine sat in the dark room, he held the piece of paper in his hand and looked at the incredibly talented writer before him, his stomach rumbled, and he remembered that he hadn’t had anything to eat since his scrambled eggs this morning.”

Well?

“I think your writing is okay… it has some issues with the grammar. But—


And the part about your breakfast this morning didn’t strike you as odd?

“What with you clearly stalking me?”

Okay… read this.

Ursine began to weep madly; his nose ran like a broken tap. His snot joined the fluid leaking from his eyes, and mixed together before entering his mouth, leaving a sickly, salty taste on his tongue.”

Well, do you want a tissue? Do you even know why you’re crying?

*sniffle* “Your bad writing!” *sniffle*

Screw it, just answer these questions, or for the rest of your life I am going to make sure that you wear a pencil skirt.

“What sort of threat was—

What is your favourite food?

“Just because you’re getting upset, doesn’t mean that I am going to help you in any way you egotistical son of a—

Finish that sentence, and I will write down that your genitals fall off from frostbite.

“Spaghetti. My favourite food is spaghetti.”

What is your favourite movie?

“Dawn of the dead. The 2000 remake.”

What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?

“Orange, scotch and dark chocolate… which is weird because I don’t think I have ever tried it… wow… that’s weird…”

That’s because it’s my favourite.

“Huh?”

How are you finding married life?

“It’s a lot of hard work.”

As a married man myself, I find that compromise is key.

“Oh? You think compromise will help me, too?”

Usually. Yes.

“I bet your wife wears the trousers in your relationship.”

I adore my wife; she can wear what she wants.

“You are so whipped…”

Oh? Okay then, Si, please enlighten any readers still hanging around reading this, your key to a happy married life.

“I believe in giving my wife…Tessa…Space.”

Do you really believe in that, or are you forced to give her space, while she is being contained by the demon lord, Drogan?

“…What did you just—

So, I hear that you are back to school and in England at that. How are you finding the school and the country?

“No, let’s go back a question… Who told you about what happened with Tessa? Was it Ralph?”

You don’t know anyone called “Ralph”. Now, about school in England.

“Yes I do… Ralph, you know, Ralph the cable repair guy. He is a real chatter—

Si, just answer the freaking question, in fact I’ll make it the last question. Then you’re free to go!

“I am not answering anything, until you answer me. Who told you? Was it Mike?”

No.

“Kitty?”

Try again.

“Ivan?”

Not even close.

“Lycaon? It was Lycaon wasn’t it? It’s always the silent types that blather the most to strangers. It just builds up in them… and builds up, then they release it all at once. Verbal diarrhoea of the mouth.”

That doesn’t even make any sense, and no.  Okay… If I tell you, do you promise to answer my question about school in England?

“Sure.”

I have your word on this?

“Is that the question?”

Ursine…

“Yes, yes already. You have my ‘word’.”

I put her there.  So, about school in England…

“You…What?”

I am also going to be the one to get her out, with your help of course.

“My head hurts.”

I answered your question, so now it’s your turn… Si? Hello? Is anyone there?

“If you want the truth, then honestly…it’s about the same as my old High school.”

Apart from you are living at this one, and in the same room as a beautiful red-headed girl called Sindra. What do you think your wife would say if she found out?

“It’s not as it sounds…and I don’t have to answer any more questions. Remember?”

Fine. A deal’s a deal. Thank you for talking with me today. I wish you all the luck with your future endeavours. And I guess I will be seeing you later on, after my kids are asleep.

“What? Whatever man, do you even know how creepy you are making yourself sound? I bet you’re not even married. You probably live in your grandma’s basement, or your uncle’s closet, where your only friend is a sock puppet named Troy.”

Thank you for taking the time to read this, expect to find a scene in the soon to be released Hellbound, where Ursine gets hit in the balls—unexpectedly from a stray baseball.

“You are such an ass hat.”

Say goodbye, Ursine.
“Goodbye, Ursine.”

Author Bio
Lee was born in Canada, but now currently resides in Dorset in the UK.
Lee is a descendent of the native american tribe Cree.
When he moved to the UK at just three years old, he resided in Bristol with his parents and sister, and lived there for fifteen years until he met his girlfriend and moved to Dorset.
Lee is now happily married to his wife and has three beautiful children.
At just 24 years old Lee has a very long writing career in-front of him.
Writing has been his passion from a very young age, and his first book is due to be released on Ebook October 1st 2011 and on paperback November 21st 2011.

Stalker Links: 




Buy Links: 




Kobo 










6 comments:

  1. What a great review. I like that you didn't give away too much but made it sound fascinating. I also loved the interview and impressed with Lee Taylor's sense of humor! It is a must have for me. This has been added to my ever growing wish list! Thanks for the review, Q & A, and interview!
    Marlena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review and Interview.. Also couldn't stop laughing at the Character Interview wow that was great and i'm over here still laughing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words, its also kind of cool to know that if working as a novelist fails, I could always try to write for a ventriloquist!

    Seriously, though. Thank you for letting me be involved in this event.

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobby Newman gives an incredible first review of Lee Taylor's blockbuster novel BOUND, and should seriously think about doing it full time! Of course, Lee is an absolute treasure when it comes to interviews; his humour and sharp intelligence keep the reader glued to his every word. I strongly recommend you pick up BOUND and join the growing multitude of his fans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yah! great post and great review Mr. Roofio!!! i have this book on my nook and hope to read it soon!!!!! Great job everyone!! off to share this fab stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg what a great post and interview! I was laughing so hard at the interview part that my family were looking at me like I was crazy:) It makes me really want to read the book, sounds amazing from the looks of the interview

    ReplyDelete